Jan 25, 2015

Eat "Katsudon" and win examination ( acting superstitiously for good luck in Japan)

Katsudon; pork cutlet served on top of a bowl of rice

Students sitting for entrance examinations often eat "katsudon" a day before or on the day of such an event, believing in the auspicious homophony between the words, 'katsu' (to win) and 'katsu' (cutlet) which might bring them luck.
It is an examination season now in Japan. I am not a student anymore. But it is deeply impressive, and I am wrapped in feeling of strain when this time comes every year.
My mother cooked katsudon at the time of my examination, too. The other day, I ate katsudon while remembering those days.
Katsudon
Seaweed miso soup, Cucumber pickles
It is the Katsudon which I ate in Japanese restaurant "Sakamoto-ya" in Nishiogikubo, Tokyo. This restaurant is very casual and very nostalgic atmosphere. Cook and staff is very familiar. It is a very popular restaurant. There are a lot of menu, but this Katsudon is the most popular. It was a very nostalgic taste. A little sweet sauce and pork was also juicy. I got energy from Katsudon.

No comments:

Post a Comment